21 Jul 57 West Church – New Trustees Wanted
Are you a Christian who wants to volunteer your experience to help transform lives? This Church emerging among rough-sleepers and isolated people in south-east Essex would love to have you join our team!
57 West is a church that has emerged among rough sleepers and low-income households in central Southend-on-Sea. We are sharing the gospel in new ways that help the non-churched to respond. The community is trying to be whole-life oriented, where God’s invitation is received to live ‘life in fullness’. After 6 years working, 57 West is now a thriving community of people exploring faith and being baptised. They are supporting each other in their significant needs and we are welcoming in more people each week to our Saturday Church and midweek activities.
A member of the Baptist family of churches, we are supported by many local churches of all kinds as well as by other community bodies. We now seek some additional Trustees to join our board, as this growing church prepares for further growth. You will bring your experience from the charity, business or public sectors and a desire to join an energetic team of trustees, staff and volunteers as we continue to grow. Given the demographic we serve, our board draws on skills and experience from beyond the church to steer and support its work.
Everything we do flows from our Christian faith. We welcome Christians from other churches; our new trustees will be those who share our values even if they are not regular participants in our activities. We are a fully affirming church, welcoming people from the LBGTI+ community. We will shortly become a Charitable Incorporated Organisation.
Everything we do flows from our Christian faith and the board has determined that there is a genuine occupational requirement that all Trustees should be practising Christians, in good standing with a Christian church and able to affirm our values.
Principal responsibilities of trustees:
- Working with the members of the church, trustees, staff and volunteers to help 57 West to fulfil our mission and values.
- Serving as a member of the board, to be jointly responsible for the overall governance and strategic direction of the charity, its financial health, the probity of its activities and developing the organisation’s aims, objectives and goals in accordance with the governing document and legal requirements.
- Taking a lead in one or more area of expertise within the board, as well as helping to shape relevant policies and procedures.
- Serving occasionally on employment-related panels (appointments; appraisals, etc).
- Supporting and encouraging our Minister in prayer and by ensuring that she can serve Christ and his church released, as far as possible, from tasks that can be undertaken more appropriately by others.
Trustees are not remunerated, although expenses for travel and essential out-of-pocket expenses will be reimbursed. For an informal conversation please contact our Minister, Revd Pam Davies, at email@example.com