23 May Age Concern Southend tackling loneliness in the community
During ‘Loneliness Awareness Week 2023’ (12th – 18th June) Age Concern Southend are focusing on making the community aware of the services they provide to combat loneliness in Southend and surrounding areas.
Sadly, most of us will feel lonely at some point in our lives which in turn significantly impacts our wellbeing. Older people are especially vulnerable to loneliness and social isolation – which can lead to depression and a serious decline in physical health.
Age Concern Southend provides a range of services and support that can help you meet new people, make friends, and reduce feelings of loneliness.
People can become socially isolated for a variety of reasons, such as getting older or weaker, living away from family, living alone, leaving the workplace, the deaths of spouses and friends, or through disability or illness.
It may also be that you find it difficult to reach out to ask for help or are nervous about meeting new friends. Age Concern Southend does our utmost to make you feel supported, should you wish to try our services and classes at the Haven Community Hub. We also provide telephone support to those unable to get to us.
Age Concern Southend services to help combat loneliness include:
- FREE One-to-one Befriending (telephone and face-to-face)
- FREE ‘Coffee and Conversations’ social group (held upstairs every Wednesday afternoon)
- FREE ‘Coffee Morning’ (fully accessible, held downstairs every Thursday morning)
- FREE Computer courses, to help keep you digitally connected.
- One-off events including quizzes, tea dances, concerts, and race nights
- Regular classes and activities for all abilities including yoga, Tai Chi, fall prevention, crochet, knitting, card games, chess and more; at affordable prices.
- Day Centre respite care for people with neurological conditions
- Counselling services
- The Haven Community Hub is a registered Warm Hub
Our services are run from The Haven Community Hub, 138-140 Hamlet Court Road, SS0 7DP. Our timetable and support information can be found on our website www.acsos.co.uk or by contacting us on 01702 345373