03 Nov Southend Churches Community Support – Volunteering Opportunity
Southend Churches Community Support for the 2020-2021 Winter and possibly beyond. This project will be working in conjunction with the Council, Harp, and SVP to support vulnerable people in Southend; some of whom have been recently accommodated in B&Bs and/or moved onto more permanent housing.
There will be two separate volunteering opportunities under the SCCS umbrella:
- SCCS Befriender to provide informal floating support…
- each meeting focuses primarily on achieving set objectives with the client through companionship, by building trust and relations where none exist.
- encourage client to become more socially included by linking into local activities, e.g. leisure centres, libraries, colleges and community events.
- organise client to attend appointments (e.g. GP / hospital / STARS), and deal with the Council / DWP / Job Centre.
- increase client confidence by developing independent living skills, e.g. shopping, cooking, and managing a household budget.
- SVP Volunteers to assist with the day-to-day running of their Community Hub at Short Street.
- sorting donations and creating/distributing food, clothes, toiletries, and household furniture etc.
- cooking food for ‘Kindness Kitchens’ and distributing meals at/from the hub.
- Other miscellaneous jobs e.g. admin, cleaning etc.
- Nina Stewart (Co-Ordinator): 07539 220158
- John Simmons (Deputy Co-Ordinator): 07483 825298
The Southend Churches Winter Night Shelters project is a partnership between Love Southend, HARP, Southend-on-Sea Borough Council and, in normal times, the seven host churches.