17 Aug Stepping Out – South Essex African Caribbean Association and Label Free Creativity
South Essex African Caribbean Association (SEACA), working with Label Free Creativity (CIC), presents Stepping Out, a Covid-19 recovery project, using story-telling, digital tools and mediated support to encourage BAME elders and others feeling vulnerable in Southend, to ‘step outside again’ and start resuming routines, renewing friendships and returning to favourite places.
Stepping Out is designed for people in Southend who are experiencing social isolation, affecting their mental wellbeing, during and post the COVID-19 lockdown:
1. Elders from the BAME African Caribbean communities, who are being severely affected by the pandemic and reporting great anxiety, loneliness and isolation due to shielding or being separated from usual activities and networks.
2. People who self-identify with loneliness or social isolation, whose networks, routines and interactions have been disrupted or disappeared
We aim to bring people out again safely and with confidence through
• sharing of experiences of isolation during the lockdown and
• capturing their stories & conversations through recordings via zoom, telephone/mobile and online
social media platforms.
• Sharing individual stories amongst the elderly BAME Afro Caribbean communities in Southend to
highlight the issues, experiences, impact and the effect on mental wellbeing (for example not able
to meet family members or go out of their houses).
• Through these stories we can raise the need for further support for these communities with other
agencies including Age UK, MIND, Social Services, NHS.
We are starting recruitment now and have up to 30 places for people who will have six sessions of activity and interaction, delivered by experienced facilitator, Jo Melville, between August and the end of September. The sessions will be largely individually tailored in order to be participant led and allow for freedom of outcomes.
Please ring Jo Melville for further details for your clients and service users on 07523 721 834.
We look forward to welcoming our participants as we learn how to Step Out again with confidence and anticipation!